We covered 5 secrets last week, here are the remaining 5 to help you maintain a flawless skin:
- Give Yourself a Break from Stress Several studies have shown that stress causes physical changes in the body that can accelerate aging. When you are under stress, hormonal changes occur that can cause blood pressure to rise and the heart to beat faster.
Stress can even cause anxiety, depression, insomnia, weight gain, fatigue and many other conditions that will definitely make you look older than your age.
– First, you must try to control the level of stress in your life. If you are under stress, take steps to manage it by taking occasional deep breaths, walks outside amid nature, practicing yoga, meditating or indulging in any other activity that can divert your thoughts from the stressful situation and help calm your mind.
If you have difficulty controlling or managing stress, consult a specialist or join a support group.
- Eat Right
Healthy skin starts with healthy eating, so you need to think seriously about what you are eating on a daily basis. To slow down the aging process, follow these key tips:
– Include more antioxidant-rich foods in your diet. Antioxidants help increase cellular regeneration and protect collagen, thus keeping your skin firm and wrinkle-free.
– Ensure adequate intake of essential fatty acids, such as those found in flaxseed and fatty fish. These healthy fats help your skin function properly and aid in tissue repair. Plus, they help reduce inflammation in the body and improve mental health.
– Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables and 3 servings of whole grains daily. This will provide protein, calcium, vitamin D, iron, zinc and other essential minerals that your body needs to function properly.
- Stay Hydrated
Water is the foundation of young-looking skin, hence you need to drink an ample amount of water throughout the day. It helps keep your skin stay hydrated and moisturized, making it look younger and healthier.
Water also will aid digestion, improve your energy and concentration, and flush toxins from your body. When you don’t drink enough water, your skin can become dry, dull and dehydrated, leading to issues like fine lines and wrinkles, and chapped lips.
– To stay hydrated, drink 8 to 10 glasses of water each day. Along with water, you can drink green tea, fruit juices and vegetables juices, or eat fruits and vegetables rich in water content.
- Limit Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol is one drink that you must avoid or drink less, as it accelerates the aging process and affects mineral absorption in the body.
Plus, it makes your liver work harder to eliminate harmful toxins, which in turn makes your skin look dry and lifeless. Alcohol may even increase your risk for non-melanoma skin cancer, cause flare-ups of rosacea and skin irritation.
– For younger-looking skin, drink alcohol in moderation or, for maximum benefits, stop drinking entirely.
10. Stop Smoking
Smoking tarnishes your skin and makes you look older than your actual age. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 harmful toxins.
Some of these toxins cause the blood vessels in the top layers of the skin to constrict, in turn reducing the amount of oxygen in the blood. Plus, smoking reduces the production of collagen. All these factors can lead to dull skin, sagging skin, dark lips, wrinkles around the mouth and eyes, deep lines in the cheeks, dull hair and discolored nails.
Also, smoking as well as second-hand smoke has adverse effects on your overall health. It can cause respiratory problems, high blood pressure, a weakened immune system, early menopause, and lung & other types of cancer.
– Considering the ill effects of smoking on your skin and general health, it is essential to quit smoking as soon as possible
Tracy Amaka Obi is a professional Skin Therapist and Make-up Artiste. Her keen interest in flawless and glowing skin has led to her relentless provision of skin care services since 2012. She loves the science of her job as it is continuously evolving with new methods of offering people healthy looking skin.
Her specialty is in natural products which is a result of several years of training in Organic Skin Care. Tracys’ greatest accomplishments are positive comments from her diverse clientele confirming their achievements of their various beauty needs from the use of her products and personal consultation. A self acclaimed fanatic of healthy living, during her spare time; you will find her researching natural methods on achieving healthy skin and sharing those tips via her various social media handles.